Recipe: West Coast APA
Second in our Father's Day Brewer's Series recipes is the West Coast APA. An all American pale ale with a solid malt profile backed up with a firm American bitterness. This beer finishes cleanly with citrus, lemon and grapefruit notes.
Head to your local Mangrove Jack's stockist to pick up your ingredients and get brewing today.
Note: The availability of these products may vary between regions.
YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 x Mangrove Jack’s Brewer’s Series American Pale Ale (includes yeast)
- 1 x Mangrove Jack’s Pure Liquid Malt Extract Light 1.2 kg
- 25g Mosaic Hops
- 25g Simcoe Hops
1. On the brew day, clean and sanitise your fermenter, airlock, lid and mixing paddle with Mangrove Jack’s Total San Sanitiser.
2. Add 3 L of boiling water to your fermenter.
3. Pour the contents of the Mangrove Jack’s Brewer’s Series American Pale Ale pouch into the fermenter and squeeze out the remains.
4. Add the contents of the Mangrove Jack’s Light Liquid Malt Extract pouch and stir until completely dissolved.
5. Top up to 23 L with cold water.
6. Check the liquid temperature is below 25°C (77°F), then add the contents of both yeast sachets into the fermenter.
7. On day 7 of fermentation, add the 25g each of Mosaic and Simcoe Hops. Do not stir (the hops will break up and disperse naturally).
8. Leave to ferment for a further 2-3 days or until the airlock has stopped bubbling, then check the SG using a hydrometer. If fermentation is complete, the SG should be equal to or below the value indicated on the Brewer’s Series carton.
9. Continue your brew per the instructions on the Brewer’s Series carton.