The weather is turning, the days are shorter and the mornings are crisp so the brewers mind is starting to turn to darker beers. This in mind we thought we would do something a little different. So here we are, the Chocolate Milk Stout.
Original Gravity: 1.055
Expected Final Gravity: 1.023 (it is meant to be high as the lactose balances out all that dark malt)
Expected ABV: 4.3%
Expected IBU: 30
1 x 1.8kg Black Rock Liquid Dark Malt Extract
1kg of Copper Tun light unhopped malt
500g Copper Tun Lactose
100g Cocoa Powder
400g of Black Patent Grain
250g of Chocolate Grain
70g of Fuggles Hops
2 Sachets of Mangrove Jack’s British Ale yeast
1) Pour 10 L of water into a 15 capacity pot. Bring the water up to 70 degrees and add a grain bag full of crushed grain for 25 minutes.
2) Remove grain bag and bring this to the boil.
3) Once boiling add the all fuggles hops, malt extracts and lactose. Boil for 90 minutes.
4) Add the cocoa powder 10 minutes before the end of the boil.
5) At the end of 90 minutes cool the wort in an icebath until it is at 20 degrees.
6) Empty this into your sanitised fermenter and top up with cold water to 23 L.
7) Sprinkle over 2 packs of the Mangrove Jack’s British Ale yeast.
8) Ferment, bottle or keg as usual when the specific gravity is stable for 48 hours.
The Beer Man