This recipe is not your usual milk stout recipe. It is heavy on the chocolate and light on the roast. But the addition of cold infused coffee will give you a smooth rounded beer that is very easy to drink.
Coffee Milk Stout - All grain recipe
Expected Brew Figures (Based on 65% mash efficiency):
ABV: Approx 5.1%
Volume 23 L
5kg Weyermann Pale Malt
650g of Bairds Chocolate Malt
350g of Weyermann CaraWheat
150g of Black (Patent) Malt
450g of Copper Tun Lactose
18g Pacific Jade Hops
0.3g of Copperfloc or 1 tsp of Irish Moss
2 packets of Mangrove Jack's M03 New Castle Dark Ale Yeast
1 large plunger of coffee of your choice. Place 10 heaped Tbsp of plunger ground coffee filled with cold water and leave it overnight to infuse. Do this after 1 week of fermentation.
- Mash at 68 degrees C (for a very full body).
- Sparge and bring to a boil. Add lactose at the beginning of the boil.
- Boil for 90 minutes adding Pacific Jade Hops at 60 minutes also add the 450g of lactose.
- After 75 minutes add copperfloc or Irish Moss.
- Immediately cool your wort to 20 degrees C and pitch 2 packets of Mangrove Jack’s M03 New Castle Dark Ale Yeast.
- Ferment at 18 degrees C for 10 days.
- Once active fermentation is complete transfer to a second fermenter add the cold infused coffee.
- Leave to blend in with the beer for 7 days.
- Bottle or keg as usual.