Brown Ales are a very underrated style. This style is full of caramel and biscuity flavours topped of with hints of chocolate. The addition of hazelnut blends together well with lovely Nutella type flavours, while the yeast used leaves great residual sweetness making it a perfect beer for Autumn.
Expected Brew Figures
ABV: Approx 5.8%
Volume: 19 L
- Mangrove Jack’s Craft Series Chocolate Brown Ale or Nut Brown Ale Pouch 2.2kg
- Black Rock Unhopped Light Malt Extract 1.7 kg
- 2 Mangrove Jack’s M03 Newcastle Dark Ale Yeast packs (one pack comes with the Mangrove Jack’s Brown Ale pack, so only one extra is needed)
- 2 bottles of Still Spirits Top Shelf Hazelnut Liqueur Essence (add more or less depending on how pronounced you want the hazelnut flavour to be).
- Add 6 L of boiling water into a sanitised fermenter
- Stir and mix the Mangrove Jack’s Craft Series Chocolate (or Nut) Brown Ale pouch as well as the can of Black Rock light malt extract into boiling water.
- Add cold water up to 19 L – the colder, the better to bring the temperature down.
- Add to an ice bath to bring the temperature down to 20˚C
- Sprinkle in the 2 packets Mangrove Jack’s M03 Newcastle Dark Ale Yeast
- Ferment at 19˚C for 10 days
- Once active fermentation is complete, transfer to a second fermenter and add the Still Spirits Top Shelf Hazelnut Liqueur Essence to taste
- Leave to blend in with the beer for 7 days
- Bottle or keg as usual