With IPA Day being celebrated on the 6th of August, now is the perfect time to brew something a little bit different in celebration. This Black IPA recipe makes one fine, hoppy beer. We think you’ll love this one!
The Black IPA is a variation of the American IPA style which was first commercially produced by Greg Noonan (Blackwatch IPA) in about 1990. The style was popularized in the early-mid 2000s in the American Pacific Northwest and Southern California. This style is sometimes known as Cascadian Dark Ale (CDA), mainly in the Pacific Northwest.
The aggressive hop additions add pungent citrus and herbal hop nuances, while the rye adds a hint of peppery earthiness. The dark coloured malts add a twist to your typical IPA malt bill without being overly roasty.
Head to your local Mangrove Jack's stockist to pick up your ingredients and get brewing today.
Please note, the availability of these products may vary between regions.
Approx. ABV: 6.5%
YOU WILL NEED:
This recipe uses Citra and Amarillo hops. If you're unable to source these varieties, check out our Hop Substitution Guide.
1. On the brew day, clean and sanitise your fermenter, airlock, lid and mixing paddle with Mangrove Jack’s Total San Sanitiser.
2. Place all of the grain into your grain bag and steep in 4L of water at 65°C for 25 minutes then remove the grain bag. Set wort aside.
3. Add 3L of boiling water to your fermenter, then add 11g each of your Citra and Amarillo hops (in hop sock) and steep for 5 minutes then remove the hop sock.
4. Pour the liquid malt extract from the Mangrove Jack's American IPA pouch into the fermenter and squeeze out the remains.
5. Add the contents of the Mangrove Jack's Pure Liquid Malt Extract pouch and stir until completely dissolved.
6. Add the 4L of wort from your steeped grains into the fermenter and stir.
7. Top up to 23L with cold water.
8. Check the liquid temperature is below 25°C, then add the contents of the two yeast sachets.
9. Ferment per the instructions included with your Mangrove Jack's Craft Series pouch. You will find a sachet of hops included with your pouch - use these as per the instructions included.
10. On day 3 of fermentation, add the remaining 11g each of Citra and Amarillo hops to the fermenter.
11. Continue the fermentation as per the instructions included with your Mangrove Jack's Craft Series pouch.
Don't forget to share your brews with us on our Facebook page, or tag us on Instagram! As always, if you have any questions, please feel free to contact us via social media, or send us a message directly here.