We've combined candy and beer in this experimental "Candy Shots Pilsner" recipe so you can get your Halloween homebrew fix with Mangrove Jack's. Halloween is all about the sweet treats after all!
Light gold in colour, with a slight hue of blue, this brew is has the crisp bitterness you'd expect from a pilsner, with a slightly balanced sweetness from the Candy Shots Flavouring.
Head to your local Mangrove Jack's stockist to pick up your ingredients and get brewing today.
Please note, the availability of these products may vary between regions.
Approx. ABV: 4.5%
YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 x Mangrove Jack's Pils Pouch with Dry Hops
- 1kg of Dextrose OR 1.2kg of Mangrove Jack's Pure Liquid Malt Extract - Light
- 1 x 10g packets Mangrove Jack's M54 Californian Lager Yeast
- 9 ml Top Shelf Candy Shots Flavouring
1. On the brew day, clean and sanitise your fermenter, airlock, lid and mixing paddle with Mangrove Jack’s Total San Sanitiser. Remove the yeast from the dry compartment of the pouch and set aside for now.
2. Pour the contents of the Pils Pouch into the fermenter and stir. Then add the dextrose or Liquid Malt Extract - Light and stir.
3. Top up to 23L with cold water.
4. Check the liquid temperature is below 22°C (72°F), pitch the yeast and ferment for 10 days at 18 - 22° C (64-72° F). Please note your OG should be roughly 1.045.
5. After 10 days, increase the temperature to 22°C (72°F) and ferment for 4 days.
6. After 4 days, add the Top Shelf Candy Shots Flavouring.
6. Add finings, wait 24 hours, then transfer to keg and force carbonate at 12psi at 4°C for 14 days - alternatively, bottle condition at a warm temperature for 3 weeks, and then transfer to a fridge and cold condition for final week (4 weeks total).
Have you been brewing? Don't forget to share your brews with us on our Facebook page, or tag us on Instagram! As always, if you have any questions, please feel free to leave a comment below, contact us via social media, or send us a message directly here.