We're celebrating International Coffee Day with this Hazelnut Coffee Porter recipe that is based on Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Nectar. This brew offers a hazelnut aroma with a rich, nutty flavour and a smooth, malty finish.
Originally created by Rogue Brewmaster John Maier's good friend and avid homebrewer, Chris Studach, Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Nectar is inspired by the hazelnut capital of the United States and puts a nutty twist on a European brown ale. This beer is the taste of cool weather - the chocolate, hazelnut and coffee makes it perfect for a cool evening.
Head to your local Mangrove Jack's stockist to pick up your ingredients and get brewing today.
Please note, the availability of these products may vary between regions.
Approx. ABV: 4.7%
YOU WILL NEED:
1. On the brew day, clean and sanitise your fermenter, airlock, lid and mixing paddle with Mangrove Jack’s Total San Sanitiser. Remove the yeast from the dry compartment of the pouch and set aside for now.
2. Pour the contents of the Rustic Brown Ale and Workingmans Stout pouches into the fermenter and stir.
3. Top up to 23L with cold water.
4. Check the liquid temperature is below 22°C (72°F), pitch the yeast and ferment for 10 days at 18 - 22° C (64-72° F). Please note your OG should be roughly 1.050.
5. After 10 days, increase the temperature to 22°C (72°F) and ferment for 4 days.
6. After 4 days, add the Top Shelf Hazelnut Flavouring and freshly brewed coffee.
6. Add finings, wait 24 hours, then transfer to keg and force carbonate at 12psi at 4°C for 14 days - alternatively, bottle condition at a warm temperature for 3 weeks, and then transfer to a fridge and cold condition for final week (4 weeks total).
Have you been brewing? Don't forget to share your brews with us on our Facebook page, or tag us on Instagram! As always, if you have any questions, please feel free to leave a comment below, contact us via social media, or send us a message directly here.