Halloween calls for tequila and the worm, so why not do the same with beer? Get your homebrew Halloween fix with this Sour and The Worm recipe.
This is a pinkish red sour beer with a clean raspberry sourness that is balanced slightly by the sweetness of a gummy worm in the glass.
Head to your local Mangrove Jack's stockist to pick up your ingredients and get brewing today.
Please note, the availability of these products may vary between regions.
Approx. ABV: 4.5%
YOU WILL NEED:
1. On the brew day, clean and sanitise your fermenter, airlock, lid and mixing paddle with Mangrove Jack’s Total San Sanitiser. Remove the yeast from the dry compartment of the pouch and set aside for now.
2. Pour the contents of the Raspberry Berliner Weisse pouch into the fermenter and stir. Then add the dextrose or liquid malt extract and stir.
3. Top up to 23L with cold water.
4. Check the liquid temperature is below 22°C (72°F), pitch the yeast and ferment for 10 days at 18 - 22° C (64-72° F). Please note your OG should be roughly 1.045.
5. After 10 days, increase the temperature to 22°C (72°F) and ferment for 4 days.
6. Add finings, wait 24 hours, then transfer to keg and force carbonate at 12psi at 4°C for 14 days - alternatively, bottle condition at a warm temperature for 3 weeks, and then transfer to a fridge and cold condition for final week (4 weeks total).
7. To serve: serve in your favourite beer glass with 1-2 gummy worms.
Have you been brewing? Don't forget to share your brews with us on our Facebook page, or tag us on Instagram! As always, if you have any questions, please feel free to leave a comment below, contact us via social media, or send us a message directly here.